About Us

Four Americans in Beijing working to carry on the power and effectiveness of Yin Style Bagua in spite of the insane contradictions of life and training in China.

Monday, 18 January 2010

Finding the shoulder when training Phoenix

Ah, the thrills of training a new animal. In Beijing, we've been doing nothing but Phoenix since Huairou last April. As much as I like training any new aspect of the art, I can't help feeling like it's 2003 and I'm throwing out my first sweeping strike. You know, like when you realize "this ain't your daddy's ka-ra-te Pile!". As is the same for back then when I was lost searching for the power of my waist, I'm now lost searching for the power in my shoulder. I still find myself depending on my waist for strength which I don't believe is incorrect, but I definitely feel that there is room for improvement in my shoulder. The best ways I've found to remedy this problem so far have been to put most of my focus into my shoulder, extending my arm, and
practicing a few key strike combinations....
1. forcing transforming - inside dodging
2. forcing transforming - whirling extending
3. whirling extending - transforming and removing stabbing

I've found that any strike coming from that forcing transforming strike is going to make you use your shoulder. It's next to impossible to lead with the waist coming from that angle.

Both 2 and 3 are from the Interlocking Extending Strike form. I like to practice these in both a two strike line drill, or combine them into a three strike line drill. I definitely feel the burn in my shoulders after working these.

-Blade

No comments:

Post a Comment